WEST ALABAMA MULTICULTURAL ALLIANCE (WAMA)
is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization created to acknowledge the richly diverse cultural heritage of people of color throughout West Alabama.
About West Alabama Multicultural Alliance
- A 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation under the laws of the State of Alabama. WAMA seeks to develop a community, where people of all ethnic backgrounds are celebrated and respected for their unique heritage and contributions made in West Alabama.
- An organization engages in work that
- Fosters historical awareness of ethnic heritages
- Supports education, health & wellness, and financial literacy
- Supports science, technology, engineering, and math
- Supports the promotion of music and the arts
- Supports the education of people on their political rights and responsibilities
Building Communities Through Multiple
Cultures and Diverse Groups
The Importance of Culture
Community Builders and Understanding Culture
WAMA believes that society is becoming increasingly diverse and includes people of many languages, religions, ethnicities and economic groups.
In order to build communities that are successful, we need to understand and appreciate many cultures, establish relationships with individuals from cultures
other than our own, and build strong alliances with different cultural groups.
Envisioning A Better Cultural Community
WAMA envisions an ideal diverse community, set up to foster a diverse environment. Individually and together we can contribute to the type of communities we dream of in the future.
In our families, organizations, institutions, and neighborhoods, we do not have to isolate ourselves from those who are different from us. We can transform our community to be a better place to live.